Edibles always sound like a fun and exciting idea to make but people sometimes get put off by the process of actually making the cannabis butter. We prefer to make a batch of cannabutter and keep it in the freezer so that there is always cannabis butter on-board and it makes baking edibles super fun and easy. When you melt the butter make sure that you use very low heat- we suggest you boil water in a pot and put a glass bowl over the boiling water in which you will be melting the butter.
We have put together a simple recipe for making cannabis infused butter. Note that you are able to use anything that is fat-based, so feel free to use butter, vegetable oil, or coconut oil. Coconut oil is actually our favorite choice in fat to infuse cannabis with because with that we are able to bake vegan friendly and dairy-free edibles.
In terms of dosage, we suggest you use around 10-14 grams of weed per 250g of butter or oil. The potency all depends on the quality of your weed. If you are using low quality weed then you will definitely want to add more weed.
The most important step of this whole procedure is the first step where you will need to activate the THC. This is called decarboxylating. All you need to know is that the buds of your weed naturally produce a non-intoxicating acidic cannabinoid THCA which is converted into THC through heat (the same thing happens when we smoke weed). THC is the molecule that gives you euphoric effects, so if you skip this step then your edibles are not going to do what you want them to.
Stovetop Cannabutter Recipe
- Decarboxylate your cannabis. Preheat your oven at no more than 110 degrees celsius. Cover a baking tray with baking paper to avoid sticking and cover the tray with weed and bake for about 30-40 minutes. If your weed is low quality or dry then you can get away with baking for 20 minutes.
- Remove the weed from the oven and grind it up well with a hand grinder.
- Using a stovetop, melt the butter. Once melted, add the weed into the pot. We recommend that you put the stove on the lowest heat possible as you never want to start a boil. If you are using butter then remember that butter burns easily, so add a few drops of water and stir the butter every 30 minutes.
- Maintain the low heat and let simmer for 2-3 hours. You ideally want it to reach at least 70 degrees celsius but never exceed more than 90 degrees celsius.
- Now it’s time to strain the mixture. Once cooled, use a funnel and place a cheesecloth in it and allow it to strain. If you don’t have a cheesecloth, we have found that using a coffee filter also works very well.
- Place the cannabutter in a freezer safe container and freeze or refrigerate it. If you find that excess water has formed at the bottom of the jar, then simply remove the solid butter with a knife.
Slow Cooker Cannabutter Recipe
If you have a slow cooker at home then you can also make use of that. The great thing about using a slow cooker is that you don’t need to decarboxylate your weed before hand- it does it in the slow cooker.
- Grind your weed with a hand grinder.
- Set your slow cooker to low or at 70 degrees celsius but no more than 90 degrees celsius to avoid burning or wasting the weed.
- Add the weed and the butter. You can also add a little bit of water to avoid burning, especially if you are using butter as it burns more easily than oil. Stir occasionally.
- After about 3 hours the cannabutter should be ready. Switch off the slow cooker and let cool.
- Strain as per above recommendation.
With this recipe you are able to make delicious edibles. You can use your infused oil with any meal by simply tossing it over your food. Alternatively, you are also able to use this recipe to make delicious home baked recipes. Keep an eye out for more delicious edible recipes that you can make coming your way soon.
How To Make Cannabutter | Pot Or Slow Cooker Method
Make a batch of cannabutter or cannaoil and keep it in the freezer so that there is always cannabis butter on-board. Read our cannabutter guide now.
Keywords: cannabutter, cannaoil, thc, weed, cannabis
Recipe Yield: 15 servings
Preparation Time: 00:30:00
Cooking Time: 03:00:00
Total Time: 03:30:00
- Cannabis flower or trim
- Butter or coconut oil